The dental examination is a diagnostic evaluation of a patient’s overall oral health and hygiene.
During a dental examination, your doctor or hygienist may…
- check for signs of decay or periodontal disease
- ask about any medications
- x-ray using low radiation digital imaging
- evaluate occlusion (bite)
- evaluate jaw
- discuss proper cleaning
- complete an airway evaluation
- Take an iTero scan to create a digital model
The doctor or hygienist may also perform an oral cancer exam. In addition to manually checking for signs of oral cancer, we utilize VelScope advanced technology that detects changes in oral tissue consistencies and/or lesions. With early detection, cancer may be caught before it has time to spread, potentially saving lives.